Shepherd's or Hunter’s Pie:
- 1 lb. ground venison
- 1 10.5 oz. can of Garlic Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 can green beans
- 1 can corn
- 6 potatoes mashed, you will need a little milk to smooth the potatoes
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar jack cheese
- Boil a pot of water. Once boiling add the peeled, sliced potatoes.
- While the potatoes are boiling, brown the venison in a pan.
- Add the can of Garlic Cream of Mushroom soup and mix.
- Mash the potatoes in the pan, add milk until smooth.
- Add the meat to an 8 x 8 pan.
- Drain the corn and add to the top of the meat.
- Drain the green beans and add to the top of the corn.
- Add the mashed potatoes to the top of the vegetables until all you see are the mashed potatoes on top.
- Top the potatoes with as much cheese as you like.
- Bake at 325 for 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Now there are many Shepherd's Pie recipes. I find most of these recipes time consuming and requiring a lot of preparation and ingredients. This one is a favorite of mine because you have the ingredients easily, it’s fast, and even the littles enjoy it. An added bonus is you can actually make it during a busy work week.
Bountiful harvests and happy cooking,
Recipe prepared by Jennifer Hiller