Autumn in particular is a great time of year to discover Calvatia Gigantea, the Giant Puffball Mushroom. Temperate Forests the world over are home to over 1,300 puffball species. Fields and deciduous forests are a great place to start your search and any edible Puffball mushroom can be used. Puffballs should be snow white, stay clear of any discolored shroom and any puffball with gills.
What ingredients do I need?
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of xtra virgin olive oil (substitute butter)
- 1 Giant Puffball (roughly half the size of a loaf of bread)
- Whisk eggs and cinnamon in a shallow dish
- Puffball prep:
- Slice em’
- Roll em’ in egg, and
- Fry them up on an oil/butter dusted skittle.
Best served with Maple syrup, butter, and an assortment of seasonal fruit toppings
Happy foraging and bountiful harvests,
Recipe prepared by Mike Hiller